Thursday, April 24, 2014

More Things

Today, we cleaned out closets.  Mrs. & I spent about 30 minutes this morning pulling self-delusions out of the closet and putting them in a (large) box to go to the Salvation Army.  Now, the things we have are neater, more easily seen and accessed, and more likely to be used, which is, after all, the fulfillment of their purpose.

Today, I moved my office fridge.  I've mentioned this before.  It holds my veggies so I can have kickawesome and cheap work lunches.  Lots of people on my floor comment on my lunches.  None have ever replicated them.  Which leads to my point. 

My office fridge had been jammed in the footwell under my desk, next to my computer tower, leaving me with little legroom to my left, and blocking my ability to use my writing area effectively, restricting me to the keyboard/phone area of my desk.  Don't ask me why I set it up like this, I can't give a good answer.  Maybe I felt like I needed to keep my friends close and my vegetables closer.  In a locked office in a locked room in a locked building.  The janitors don't even clean our area, it's that locked (and kinda gross sometimes).  So yeah, maybe a little crazy hoarder mentality creeping in there. 

So I moved it.  It's now in the footwell of the unused desk next to mine.  It's never been occupied.  It won't ever be occupied (at least not while I'm on this team - we're not about to upstaff like crazy).  So why didn't I put it there in the first place?  Can't say, at least, can't give any logical reason.  So now I have legroom (I'm stretching as I write this, and my knee isn't hitting anything - huzzah!).

Why don't we just do the small things that we know are good? They're not hard.  We know we'll like the outcome.  They might take ten minutes (or in my case, 20 seconds).  But we don't.  We bump our knees on fridges and computers.  We eat expensive, microwaveable cardboard and cheez* meals.  We keep doing things we complain about instead of shutting up and thinking and acting and then being pleased with the result.  My salads and fridge-move don't make me a hero.  They damn me for their triviality by pointing to bigger failures.  Occasionally driving to work instead of biking.  Not having this house done yet.  Still having poor handwriting. Not using many of my things well, and still finding myself sometimes wanting more things I know I cant use well.

So let's do things.  Little things, at first, to help us get in the habit of making life better for ourselves, those around us, and ultimately, for the glory of God.  Because we are called to be stewards of our wealth, our time, our talents.  Not hoarders.  Not complainypants.  Not sloths or ingrates.  But men and women who think about how to behave well, to think well, and to speak well.

Well now, off to make a salad for lunch.


*It's not cheese, or even Cheez.  Just cheez.  As in "Oh cheez, man, stop doing that to yourself!"


No comments:

Post a Comment